We all know about the deadliness about smoking. It is one of the leading causes of death in this world. The nicotine content tobacco makes people addicted to smoking, and it causes harm to the people who consume tobacco. It is also one habit which people consider to be cool and many people believe that smoking is one of the best stress buster. Smoking is a nasty addictive habit, and it is sure to kill you if you continue the habit. The following are some of the facts about smoking:
- More than a trillion cigarettes are sold in the world today. It is also one of the most traded items, and these industries are worth billions of dollars.
- The number of smokers in the United States is increasing day by day and statistics have shown that there are more than 4000 teens who try their first cigarettes in a day and about 1000 teens have made it a habit of consuming them on a daily basis.
- More than 69 chemicals that are used to make cigarettes cause cancer in your body.
- The U.S. and few parts of Europe have made it completely illegal for minors to smoke but many teens consume tobacco on a daily basis.
- Inhaling the secondhand smoke is just as harmful as smoking. Non-smokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke tend to have many respiratory diseases and even have the chance of developing lung cancer. Passive smokers are most likely to have a premature death, and they also have a higher risk of heart diseases.
- In the U.S alone there are over 50,000 deaths each year due to the exposure of secondary smoke.
- The smoke that burns off at the end of the cigar is more harmful than the smoke that is inhaled by the smoker. Very little amounts of tobacco can trigger heart diseases.
- As the health risks of people are increased when they are exposed to second-hand smoke, many smoke-free regulations have been introduced in public places like restaurants, bus stops, cafes etc.
- 70% of the people who smokers want to quit smoking but struggle to fight the addiction.
- The withdrawal symptoms can be quite painful, and people have to suffer a lot before entirely quitting.
- Most of the tobacco quitters tell themselves that they will quit on a Monday.
- Nicotine is an addictive drug, and it provides momentary pleasure but later makes your tired and low.
- Studies have shown that smoking marijuana is way less harmful than consumption of tobacco and alcohol.
- China has the highest population of smokers in the world.
- Hindenburg was inflated with flammable hydrogen gas, and yet it was designed in such a way that it had a smoking room.
- Nicotine is derived from a Frenchman whose name is Jean Nicot. He is the one who introduced tobacco to France back in those days.